Sunday, September 7, 2008

houston... we have lift-off.

Earlier this year, I bought an APR GTC-200 gt wing for my car. When it arrived at my doorstep, I ran and opened the box immediately to envy the item I had just received. It was a gorgeous piece of work. So I installed it and realized it was just too low for my car. When I looked in the rearview mirror, all I was able to see out of it was the wing. Nice to know a wing is tailgating you. So I looked all over the place for risers for this wing. One guy from bimmerforums was having custom ones fabricated by a machine shop. I ordered a set. Long story short, months went by (6) and they are still not in my posession.

Now under desperate times, I started researching for any wings that would fit my criteria. The wing needs to be about the width of my car but not stick out, the height of the roof but not protrude too much, and as light as possible. The search eventually brought the Origin Labs GT wing to my attention. 63" wide, 14" tall, carbon fiber... the perfect wing! So immediately I placed the order. I kept looking at the fedex tracking information on it. It was like counting down to christmas. I chose to have it shipped to my work place so I wouldnt have to worry about the mess I might make at work. Day of the shipment, I sit afterhours at work waiting patiently for the fedex truck to show up. Santa never showed up. When I got home, a six foot long cardboard box sat before me. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!!!

So today, I assembled the wing, easy job. Everything was metric. Once it was assembled, I placed it on my spare engine lid I bought purposely to install the wing on. This was the hard part. I had to make sure the stands were centered left-right and perfectly straight back and forth. I marked a lot of the measurements with painters tape. I mounted the wing 2/3 to the rear of the lid. Reason being is to have the wing as close to the strut towers as possible for more direct action. After it was mounted, I sadly noticed there was a lot of flex where I had mounted it. Looks dope though! My solution on fixing this is to have one of those rods used for holding front splitters up as a support at the rear of the wing. I think I'll mount it to to the top of the stand and to the rearmost of the engine lid. It should be supported pretty good.




















Also today, I picked up something very helpful for track days. :)

1 comment:

Kev!n said...

looking good. phil sent me to your blog. (moved to cali from chicago, recently moved back here)

anyway, wing looks good!