Thursday, April 9, 2009

Redline Time Attack Rd. 1 results

Yes, a little bit late on this one but results are set. I now found time to bring to you a recap of the event that occurred in Buttonwillow, CA on the 29th of March 2009. Let me take you to the morning of the event.

For the 2nd track day in a row, I was awaken by snoring.

I got on the track at about 8:30am for my first run. This being the first time I've driven configuration 13 ever so I looked for someone to follow. I was passed by a white s13, driven by Matt Johnson, during my warm-up lap. I felt that car would be suitable for me to follow so I did that. In the few laps I tailed him I was able to pick the pace up and become comfortable. The best lap of that practice session for me was 2:08.673. Not bad for first time out I guess. :)

I paid close attention to what the car was doing and pointed out a few problems. In Riverside sweeper, the rear driver tire rubs against the fender. Traveling at speed of about 90mph can be dangerous to have a blowout. In the paddock I rolled the fender using a baseball bat. The job was not so great, not much choice.

The second session I had Sherman coach me on the track. I did not push the car on this run so I could take in everything he was teaching. He warned me of which apexes to hit, which to avoid, what gear is safe. His teaching soon brings results.

There were two time attack sessions. My best time was posted in the latter session about 3 in the afternoon. The weather was looking bad. Wind blew dust all around. The track became a bit dirty with many loose spots. I was second in my pack to grid and this to good advantage for taking. The car ahead of me was faster slightly and behind me was slower by not much. Three laps of clear road and nothing to lose.

The first lap was sloppy. Cotton corners section I lost time due to a drift. Too much throttle applied upset the traction which caused the car to go into a long drift. I controlled it enough to stay on the road and not lose momentum from it but this lap pretty much lost. Lap 2 began and I did better, at least stayed on the road.

The last lap of the day, no looking back. It's all or nothing. So I gave it my best to make no mistakes. Onramp, braking took place a little bit early as to not make mistakes to sabotage the lap. Entrance to the turn was acceptable, only a little oversteer at the exit but acceptable. Cotton corners was a little bit slow on the first 2 but the 2nd downhill turn went 2 wheels off. This was easily 1/2 second loss. Then I had to push harder. Going through bus stop I was pushing pretty hard even through Riverside, which I was still not comfortable with. Lost hills was taken as perfectly as I could. The big u-turn before the slalom section was taken conservatively. Along with that I don't think it was approached properly for the 2nd apex. A few more turns and I finish the lap.

My finishing lap was 2:05.663. Nothing spectacular compared to the rest of the Street RWD grid, but good for first time. Next time I go there, I can probably take off 2 seconds just by driving with more familiarity.

Now here the video of my best lap of the day.


For the parts I had developed for the event, I think they are great. Front splitter helped keep the front stable even in fast speed. The rear diffuser is undetermined. Running mismatched tires did slow the times a little bit but it also aided in exit stability. It neutralized exit oversteer effect which is still apparent.

Next round, I will have more preparation to be more competitive. We will keep you informed of updates. Good day :)




Bonus video...

4 comments:

EQH said...

Very dope. I swear your car looks faster in the video than of any other in car video I've seen at BW.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kenny, nice recap. See you at Big Willow...Pilun

EQH said...

e-mail me at earl at origin-lab.com and let me know what you need.

TEKNIK22 said...

i luv ur mr-s bro by the looks of the videos it looks like it handles very nice tight work