Saturday, November 15, 2008

work log : prepping for DA's time attack pt. 1

Today's work on the car was toughest shit.

Brian started everything by fixing my front lip using fiberglass. He did a pretty good job and seems to have a better understanding of that stuff than I do. I was working on the front of the car, experimenting on the top strut mounts to gain some caster. This required moving teh top mounts from the driver side to the passenger side and rotating 60 degrees. From the looks of it, i lost .3ish camber and gained .5ish caster. more better for dorifto!

We then started on the brakes. First we got all the old fluid out of the system. Then we went to the rear passenger side and started taking the caliper apart to replace rotors and pads. The nightmare began here. We brought out the "all spark" brake caliper piston twisting tool. From the looks of it, it was working for a little bit and then stopped. The piston kept twisting but wasn't moving back any more. So I removed the caliper completely off the car and put it on a vise to see if I could use the all spark there. Still no luck. After about 40 minutes of wrestling with the damn thing, I decided to go to Autozone to get a real caliper tool while Brian held down the fort.

So I got to Autozone and as I expected, they didn't have the tool. Just as I was cursing Autozone, Brian calls and said he got the piston to retract. It's nuts. One of those things that you just have to give time for it to work. According to Brian, he did nothing out of the ordinary and it just worked. Grr... so much time was wasted for this dumb caliper. The other 3 sides took at most 10 minutes each.

So tired mang... No food in the stumick.

No comments: