Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Redline Time Attack Rd. 2 results

Round 2 of the 2009 Redline Time Attack took place at "the fastest road in the west"... Willow Springs International Raceway. It is a 2.5 mile track consisting of 9 turns and a 1/2 mile front straightaway.

The events leading up to race day were far from staggering to say the least. My MR-S received new Dunlop Z1 Starspec tires which were purchased from fellow RTA competitor Manly Kao. Along with the new tires, I added 15mm Project Kics spacers at the front of the car to compensate for the stance on 195 tires. On the aerodynamics department, the diffuser received further strengthening to prevent flex at high speed.


photo by cristina g.

This was the first time I had ever driven at Big Willow but I assure you, it looks scarier from the sidelines than it does when you're actually on the track. There were a lot of drivers that day and I believe 60 of which were in street class alone. One practice session we saw almost all the drivers out on the track at the same time, making it hard to produce a clean lap as well as a safe one. On the last lap of practice, I came out of turn 6 and the engine had lost all power. It felt as if the car was on limp mode. I immediately turned off the engine and let it roll all the way back to the pits. Luckily everyone else was already on full alert from the amount of cars on the track.


photo by cristina g.

When I pulled into the pits, I started to diagnose certain parameters that I was able to pull up on my powerfc. First thought was maybe the alternator had been fried but remembering events of a few years back I determined it was not the case. Out of nowhere I blurted out that it could be the MAF sensor. So I took off some panels to access the intake. Behold, the MAF sensor dangling on it's wires! The screws holding it into the pipe had unthreaded itself competely. No choice, it had to be secured with zipties. Slight drama, but it was good enough to run the rest of the event.


photo by cristina g.

My first timed session went very well. I repeated the line I was able to figure out during practice and put them to work as perfect as I possibly could. Turn 1 could be taken faster, around 85mph would be ideal. Turn 2 approached without breaking at all. On turn 3-4, I believe my large rear tires were prohibiting me from utilizing 3rd gear fully. I gained a little bit of courage and dove into turn 8 full throttle. Turn 8-9 is still something I need to work on but I have the concept grasped. On the last lap of the session was when I clocked in at 1:37.835.


photo by the octane report, octanereport.com

A few things I think my car needs in the short run is a slightly larger front splitter, and the front fenders to be rolled to prevent rubbing. Down the line, I would like to get some new coilovers to replace these blown JIC's.


photo by grady nguyen, coldtrackdays.com

Overall an eventfully semi-dramatic successful day. I placed 9th and was 5 seconds away from a podium finish. Next time I come back to big willow, I will prepare a stronger fight.



Thanks for stopping by...
-kenny



r.i.p armando flores jr.

5 comments:

Kev!n said...

I love it! :D

Unknown said...

I've been following your blog for a couple months as you are tackling many options before I get the chance to do them. Specifically the front wind splitter. Very nice work on your Spyder and excellent driving.

SN Mcgregor, Kyle USN said...

I love your car, but I have a few questions. What front lip are you using on your current setup? What rear diffuser were you using on the car at the time of that photo shoot? What mud flaps are those?

please e-mail me at ncturbo2@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hello! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to
new posts.

my web blog ... cs server list

Anonymous said...

Fine way of describing, and good piece of writing to take facts on the topic
of my presentation subject, which i am going to deliver in school.



My blog post :: cccam card priority